Saturday 4 June 2016

04/06/2016 - Killearn 10k

At last, another race!  Since Buchlyvie 10k in January I had plenty of races lined up but didn't actually do any of them due to this that and the next thing. Today I had no excuses, not even my 10,000 steps a day challenge, which I seem to be adjusting to now.  Plus I was so intrigued by this race as there is much buzz around it and has sold out for the last few years.

So I made my way up in plenty of time, arriving in Killearn about half 9. So I had an hour and a half to kill before the 11 am kick off. Registration was slick and got my t-shirt, number and chip. Then when it got to half 10 I did a wee warm up. Then about quarter to 11 people started to gather outside the primary school and we were piped up to the start line. Quite a novelty!  The race director then went through her speech focusing on the route.  But there was so many signs and friendly marshals, no navigating was required - phew!

I positioned myself at the back of the pack and we were off down the main street. The start was downhill then it started to climb. In between 1 and 2k we turned left off the road on to the forest track.  There was a tough zig zag hill here which took a bit out of me. But once on the hill it is undulating with some flat sections up to 4 and half k where you turn round and go back.  But hang on what was at the turnaround - another piper!  GREAT STUFF! About 6k I started to realise how hot it was and I was pretty low on energy.  There was a water station just after 3k and on the return just after 5k where I took water and just kept it with me as I did need it with the heat.

So next I did what I hate to do in races and walked for a bit.  I knew there was a hill coming up at 8k so I used that as motivation to try running as much as possible to there.  The 8k mark is where the hill at 2k finishes. But instead of going back down this hill we went straight ahead.  There was actually quite a few people sitting here watching the race and cheering on the runners which was great.  I tried to thank them by waving in my exhausted state!  It motivated me to keep running so all good.  From 8k to 9k it is a gradual climb but it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong I still needed to take walking breaks but I knew with a bit more training I could have nailed it.  (said every runner who hasn't done enough training ;-) ) .

Then at 9k the route takes a right turn down the hill into Killearn.  I picked up here and when we got to the main road and turned up the hill I was determined I was not going to walk again and I didn't.  A few meanders through the streets and another piper! Then we came out at the park where there was tonnes of people about the finish line.  Weird thing was I didn't actually notice the chip mats at the start or the finish.  Need to pay more attention - the finish itself was obvious though!  Great medal, t-shirt, fruit and water at the finish.

I finished in 1.02.28, so pretty pleased with my time given the terrain, hills and my lack of long runs in preparation. A great race, very well organised and I do want to go back and run it all next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done stu always a nice read

Stuart said...

Thank you :-)